Read full review
2013-09-16 338 views
It was my pal's big day and we were all issued a big red bomb (a red auspicious wedding invitation card) to attend his wedding banquet at Novotel Clarke Quay by Dragon Phoenix. The Phonenix Grand Ballroom was big and could cater up to a maximum of 50 tables. Each of the table was indicated with a metal numbering stand for invitees to locate their seating. Bowls, plates and napkin were already prepared on the tables.Each table comes with 10 seating with each of us given a slip of the wedding's ni
(1) Phoenix Roast Platter consists of Sukling Pig, Beancurd Roll, Marinated Sea Snails, Drunken Chicken, Prawn Salad. As a start, the platter was make memorable with specially choreographed dance quite different from the rest of the banquet I had ever attended. This Chinese way of "Cold Dish" was a kick start to the dinner after a long wait at the recept.
(2) Braised Premier Moon-Cut Shark's Fin Soup with fresh crab meat and bamboo pith comes in a pot and can filled about 10 full small bowls. Light and refreshing taste, they were best served with vinegar and pepper which were self help from the table.
(3) Phoenix Spring Chicken was roasted to dry blistered looking brown color but its meat were still fork tender. The best part of it was the chicken rice chilli that that comes along, it was sweet more than spicy and went well with the chicken.
(4) Steamed Garoupa in "Hong Kong Style" with light soya sauce was one of my favourite dishes throughout the night, they were fresh garnished with handfuls of Chinese parsley and shredded gingers which reduced the fishy smell if any. However the service was abit of lacking as the server did not proportion the serving well.
(5) Wok-fried Prawns had caught me by surprised. The plate was filled with reddish dried chilli and seems so spicy to everyone of the table. Fried with onions, prawns and cashews nuts.
(6) Original Deep-fried Yam Ring with vegetables stuffing had a thin crispy exterior and a soft mushy interior ( the yam), even after eating the large piece of it, it made me feel that I just cant stop at one. When it was served, the ring was already proportionally cut, this method of serving was preferred as it reduced waiting time and the insufficiency of man power for the night.
(7) steamed Fragrant Rice in Lotus Leaf was wrapped securely in the leaves. I find it disappointing when the pack was filled with alot of rice with miserable ingredients. Though it smells good, we would prefer more ingredients to be seen in every spoonful of rice.
(8) Cream of Mango with pamelo was another mediocre item on the menu. It tasted more diluted and did not match our impression of a bowl of "Cream of Mango". Sago and Pomelo can hardly be found in the meal. Overall, I find that manpower was lacking, thus the disorganized service. Condiments like pepper was placed in a container which was indicated as "salt" on the bottle was seen and service received was beyond our expectations.